Real Madrid’s Isco hopes Cristiano Ronaldo stays amid reports of contract dispute
Isco has said that Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at Real Madrid is in “his own hands” amid continued speculation that he could try and force an exit this summer.
Ronaldo, 33, threw his future into doubt by talking about his time as a Madrid player in the past tense following last month’s Champions League final. Although sources in his camp have since told ESPN FC that agreeing an improved new contract to stay at the club remains another possible resolution of the situation.
“The situation is similar to Zizou [Zinedine Zidane],” Isco said from Spain’s national team base. “Cristiano must make the decision to continue, if he wants to, or not. It is in his hands. I hope he stays with us as he gives us a lot.”
Madrid president Florentino Perez has often pointed to Ronaldo’s current contract running until June 2021 as evidence that the Portugal captain has a long term commitment to the club.
Ronaldo himself has not spoken publicly about the situation since those comments in Kiev, apart from the following day’s “see you next year” message to fans celebrating the Champions League success back in Madrid.
However, the local media has been full of speculation that the former Manchester United player is not happy with a lack of progress over a new contract which he believes he was promised by Perez, and also does not understand how Madrid could pursue a €350 million deal for Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar if they do not have the money to improve his own contract.
The latest claims on TV talk show “El Chiringuito de los Jugones” alleged that Ronaldo was deeply upset and hurt by news from a meeting which took place at the Bernabeu on Tuesday between club officials and his representatives.