UEFA Europa League – Vitória SC-Konyaspor – Vitória SC v Konyaspor background
Vitória SC entertain Konyaspor in Guimaraes with both clubs knowing that they stand only an outside chance of qualifying from Group I.
• The two teams face the same scenario: to reach the round of 32 they must win and hope that Marseille simultaneously lose their final fixture at home to group winners Salzburg. A draw ensures mutual elimination.
• The sides came face to face for the first time in Turkey on matchday two, Konyaspor claiming their very first European victory with a 2-1 success courtesy of goals from Musa Araz and Deni Milošević; Paolo Hurtado struck a consolation for the visitors.
• Vitória SC have now lost all four of their games against Turkish opposition, their one away fixture ending in a 3-0 defeat by Fenerbahçe in the first round of the 1990/91 UEFA Cup.
• In their only other matches against Portuguese opponents, Konyaspor took on Braga in last season’s group stage, drawing 1-1 at home and losing 3-1 in Portugal.
• Vitória SC have won just one of their last 12 European games (D3 L8), 1-0 at home to Marseille on matchday four. Prior to their 3-0 loss at Salzburg on matchday five, they had scored one goal in each of their four Group I matches.
• Konyaspor have failed to win any of their five away fixtures in UEFA competition (D1 L4), scoring just one goal on their travels and conceding ten.
• Fourth in the Liga and runners-up in the Portuguese Cup last season, Vitória SC are participating in their third UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League group stage. They failed to make it through in both 2005/06 and 2013/14.
• Winners of the 2016/17 Turkish Cup, Konyaspor made their European competition bow in last year’s UEFA Europa League group stage. They collected just one point from their six matches.
Links and trivia
• The journey from Konya to Guimaraes is around 3,500km.
• Vitória SC’s Uruguayan forward David Texeira played club football in Turkey with Sivasspor (2016).
• This is Vitória SC’s 64th UEFA game – and Konyaspor’s 12th.
• Suspended for next match if booked: Jubal (Vitória SC); Ali Turan, Jens Jønsson, Wilfried Moke (Konyaspor).
• Vitória SC coach since summer 2016, Pedro Martins previously managed Marítimo (2012/13) and Rio Ave (2014/15) in this competition’s group stage. A former Guimarães midfielder, he was capped once during his time at Sporting CP (1995–98).
• Konyaspor boss Mustafa Reşit Akçay is back in the group stage for a third time, having coached Trabzonspor and Osmanlıspor in past editions. A youth specialist, he notably went unbeaten in his first 19 games in UEFA competition (W15 D4).