Franck Ribery inspires Bayern Munich to thrilling friendly victory over Sonnenhof Großaspach
Bayern Munich won their final friendly before the Bundesliga’s return on Friday in an incredible eight-goal thriller against third division outfit SG Sonnenhof Großaspach on Tuesday.
Bayern Munich 5-3 SG Sonnenhof Großaspach
Goals: 1-0 Coman (33′), 1-1 Sane (pen. 40′), 2-1 Müller (50′), 2-2 Sohm (56′), 3-2 Ribery (59′), 3-3 Rodriguez (61′), 4-3 Ribery (63′), 5-3 Ribery (71′)
The record Bundesliga champions dominated the opening periods as they hosted Großaspach in their final friendly before their league game at Bayer Leverkusen on Friday. They took the lead through Kingsley Coman after a silky Arjen Robben run, before the visitors levelled through a Saliou Sane penalty.
Bayern then changed their entire team at the break and Thomas Müller swiftly restored their lead. But the plucky side from Sonnenhof were out to make the most of their night under the lights of the Allianz Arena. For a second time they equalised to leave the score at 2-2, and the visitors did the same thing following a Franck Ribery goal to make it 3-3. Then the Frenchman stole the show, netting twice more in a flash to complete a 12-minute hat-trick and end the scoring in a fantastic friendly game.
Bayern (first half): Ulreich – Rafinha, Süle, Boateng, Alaba – Tolisso, Vidal – Robben (c), James, Coman – Wagner
Bayern (second half): Starke – Götze, Martinez, Mai, Bernat – Rudy, Dorsch – Ribery, Shabani, Friedl – Müller
Coach: Jupp Heynckes
Großaspach: Broll (Vitzthum 45’) – Thermann, Leist (L. Hoffmann 45’), Gehring (Pelivan 45’), Fehr (J. Hoffmann 45’) – Baku (Gyau 45’), Bösel (Binakaj 45’), Hägele, Fountas – Röttger (Sohm 45’), Sane (Rodriguez 45’)
Coach: Sascha Hildmann
Watch: James Rodriguez: “The Bundesliga’s a top league”
- Franck Ribery scored a 12-minute hat-trick in the second half.
- Kingsley Coman is the only player to have scored in each Bayern Munich friendly this winter.
- Bayern have won nine of their 10 league games since Jupp Heynckes replaced Carlo Ancelotti in the Allianz Arena hot seat.
- Forty two places separate the Bundesliga leaders from the third-tier outfit, with Großaspach currently seventh in the Dritte Liga.
- Großaspach have former USA Under-23 international Mario Rodriguez on their books.
As it happened